A Nice Hijab Story | bostonmuslimah

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Assalam alaykum

I have had many nice hijab moments but I think the best one of all happened over the past few days. I believe that without pain one cannot fully appreciate joy. Well that held true for me yesterday no doubt.

I have been trying to find a way to tell my mom that I wear hijab. I waited until I was absolutely sure I'd stick with it since why bother causing myself such grief when I could whip it off in a month or so. Anyway I had the perfect opportunity to tell her in my own goofy way that I normally reveal bad news. As an aside I loved the part in Steel Magnolias where they're in Dolly Parton's hair salon chit chattin' away and one woman tells the story of how this gay man goes to his parents house and tells them , "mom, dad......I am dying and have 1 month to live". After they fall apart and start to wail he says, "just kidding I'm gay!". lol.

Last Friday I was at my local Stop n Shop standing in the cashier line behind a woman who was in her late 60's early 70's. Very proper woman with perfect hair, perfect makeup, etc. She had scowled at me when we passed each other by a few times up and down the aisles so when I planted my cart behind her in the line she gave me a look to kill and said to me, "why don't you just go home where you belong???" Quick witted as I am I replied, "well if you'd hurry up I WOULD go home...I don't like being here anymore than you do!!" (I'm kidding....I'm totally not quick witted but when I started to wear hijab I thought up all these nice lil retorts though this was thankfully the first time I ever had to use one. )

So............I used this as an excuse to tell my mom. I called her up, told her the story and without commenting too too much she ended our converstation a wee bit abruptly with that voice that every daughter knows which conveys total disappointment. I didn't call her for a few days because I wanted her to calm down and quite frankly I am 42 years old and have had enough of the "Im so disappointed in you" speeches in my life so far.

Well....yesterday she called me and said, "do you have a minute?". SURE!!! lol. She told me that she went to get her nails done and who did her nails but this girl named Ayesha who wore that thing on her head like you said you do. I just wanted to get my toenails painted but the woman insisted on massaging my feet as well. After she painted them she asked if I'd like a 15 minute neck massage on the house. I've never felt so pampered and loved in all my life!!!

So that's my nice hijab story. :) It was painful the first few days because I felt rejected by my mother for the umpteenth time in my life but when she told me that story I could not help but think that this was a huge sign from above telling me not only is it right for me to cover my head but not to worry about other people's opinion.....He'll take care of all that. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment