Ramadan as a Married Woman | bostonmuslimah

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Assalam alaykum

This is my third year celebrating Ramadan, alhumdulilah, and because it is my first year living with my husband it warrants a post. :) The differences between this year and the last two years are too many to list so I'll just hi light the ones that are biggest imho:

Group Effort: Before living with my husband it was me and me alone on this journey of fasting and I felt so very isolated. Now I have not only someone to commiserate with when we both have migraines from lack of food but someone to help me get out of bed in the morning! Our pattern has been to wake at 4am, he will cook suhoor (normally eggs and some cheese and tomatoes with pita bread and tea), we eat, we pray, we go back to bed. Iftar is my duty while the tea after is his. We're a well oiled machine I tell ya!

Womanly Hiatus: This has always been viewed as a blessing to me in the past but this year it saddens me that I am not fasting on some of the days while he is. It feels like that deep, strong connection and bonding is lost while I await the day where I can once again join my husband. I know that it is from Allah so I abide by the rules but it's just not the same, you know? :(

Culture Shock: Hehehe. I remember when we were still waiting for my husband's visa I would complain about how hard it is to fast to him and he would sternly tell me how it is our obligation, blah blah blah. Well sure, easy for him to say since he was living in Cairo and sleeping basically from Fajr till Maghrib!!! Now that he is working full time I am able to see how this obligation is viewed in quite a different light! :P That's all I'll say about that!

I'm doing my best to abstain from the worldly part of the Internet though I must say the presidential election has my interest peaked big time these days so I do still read the news. I just try to stay away from the controversial blogs that attack this that or the other thing, which lately is hard to do given all the ammo that's been put out there!

All in all I think a lot of lessons are being learned this year for how to make next year more fulfilling. In the end it will never be the same as it was when I was alone and for that I am truly blessed. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment